November 05, 2020

DON'T BE SHAKEN...

From the look of my FB newsfeed, many of my peeps seem to be in various stages of meltdown over the 2020 election. Completely understandable. I mean, right in the middle of a pandemic and a Lysol shortage while coping with Seasonal Anxiety Disorder due to losing a much needed hour of sunlight we get hit with a steaming hot pile of election horsecrappery.

It seems we are no longer simply divided by our politics. Nope. The dysfunction and disorder of our respective parties has caused us to retreat into various groups identifiable by our particular method(s) for coping with this plethora of crises. Without undermining the complexity of such choices (and with apologies for any erroneous assumptions based on your meme game) I have clearly identified at least 5 separate-though-not-mutually-exclusive groups:

GROUP 1: People who are pissed off and polishing their muskets for Civil War Deux

GROUP 2: People who are riddled with anxiety and have retreated into a dark room with a weighted blanket to watch Hallmark Christmas movies

GROUP 3: People who seem to be taking things in stride but are quickly running out of wine and/or carbs

GROUP 4: People who are unfazed because they know the government is not designed to represent us but to control us, therefore we're just electing new zookeepers

GROUP 5: People who are steadfast in faith and focused on heaven

Personally? I find myself vacillating between Group 3 & Group 5. My COVID-15# is quickly expanding to ELECTION-20# and I don't even care because it just makes sense to bulk up in preparation for Armageddon, amiright? That extra 3000 calories a day could be the difference in a bayonet hitting a vital organ. Or not.

Sometimes, when I'm low on carbs, I sink into moments of pissiness (Group 1). Though I am not an advocate of another civil war OR muskets (or bayonets), I admit to having thoughts of inflicting wrathful vengeance on... others. Nothing that would leave a scar or cause them to go into the hospital because that could mean taking a bed away from a COVID patient and I would really go to hell for that but seriously... would it be so wrong to line up a bunch of elected officials and give 'em a good shin kicking?? Do they really think we're THIS stupid? We have witnessed with our very eyes the amazing technology of lunar landings and shuttle splashdowns. More importantly, we have benefited from the clockwork precision of Chick-fil-A workers to deliver our orders the minute we pull up to the window. SO WHY THE HECK CAN'T THEY FIGURE OUT HOW TO COUNT VOTES ON ELECTION DAY?!

Sheesh.

Then, I take a deep breath and open my Bible (Group #5) and just like that... perspective and sanity returns. There is nothing like being in the Word to remind me that groups and political parties and choosing sides is not important. It's not up to me to tell Jesus whose side He should be on. All I need to be sure of is that I am on His side. Cause if we think things are in a mess now... just wait until Jesus REALLY starts shaking things up. Know what's gonna happen then?

Only the things which cannot be shaken will remain. (Hebrews 12:27)

Don't be shaken, y'all. Turn your TV off. Grab a cookie and get in the Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment