March 06, 2011

Everything I Need

As the preacher was winding up his sermon, I was looking forward to returning to my warm house, crawling into my soft bed and indulging in a long nap. I noticed a lady walking through the door --- dirty, disheveled and wearing insulated coveralls. As she sat down in the chair next to me, I offered her my hand and quietly introduced myself. She shook my hand, nodded her head and settled in to listen to the sermon.

I attend an inner-city church, so having a homeless person show up for services is nothing out of the ordinary. But there was something about this lady sitting beside me...I couldn't stop thinking about her. Not a big believer in coincidences, I wondered at the circumstances that had caused her to be homeless, that had brought her into this church to sit by my side. I wondered how God was going to use me in her life today. I sent up a little prayer thanking Him for the opportunity and asking for direction.

The closing song was 'Shout to the Lord', one of my favorites. As we sang the last verses, these words lingered in my heart:

My comfort, my shelter,
Tower of refuge and strength.
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You.
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing!
Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name.
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands,
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand.
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.


I glanced over at the lady after the song and saw tears in her eyes. Trying to win her confidence, I leaned over and said, "I really like that song, too. My husband is the drummer". She smiled at me and said, "Oh...that's your husband? I really enjoyed the music." I felt my heart sing at her smile, and said, "Is there anything we can do for you - anything you need?" She said, "No. I've got everything I need. I'm just sorry I was late and wish I had taken time to clean up before I came." I told her that is not what church is about and I was glad she was here.

As I made my way home, her words humbled me to my toes. I got it. God didn't send the dirty, disheveled lady to me for help. He sent her to help me. This lady had entered the church building with everything she owned packed in a few pieces of battered bags strapped to a pull cart. And she had everything she needed.

"Nothing compares to the promise I have in you."



No comments:

Post a Comment