March 13, 2011

Colour My World

There never was (nor ever will be) sweeter music for falling in love than the music of the 70’s. And fall in love I did…to the background of songs such as: You are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder), Let’s Stay Together (Al Green), and everybody’s favorite: Colour My World (Chicago). Those three were mine and the Dickman’s favorite songs…the songs that underscored the friendship and love between high school sweethearts.

Even though I've never been given a satisfactory explanation as to why there is an extra ‘u’ in the title…the song that meant the most to Dickie Gene and Robin Lee was Colour My World. In truth, I really couldn’t say if it was the beautiful melody or the oh-so-sappy words...but it became Our Song. The One That Curled My Toes.

Our Song became even more special at our wedding in 1977. Standing at the front of the church with my soon-to-be husband, I realized something was amiss…my wedding was somehow going awry. When I tried to determine the cause, I wasn’t surprised to see the culprit was my soon-to-be-brother-in-law Jackie. I watched as he broke rank as Best Man and made his way to stand directly in front of us with his guitar. But it wasn’t until I heard the first strum of that major 7th chord that I realized the Haney Boys were surprising me at my very own wedding with my very favorite song. As Jackie gifted us with his beautiful angel voice, there wasn’t a dry eye in the chapel. (Although the snazzy baby blue tuxes might have caused a few of those tears.)

Throughout the years the Dickman and I have remained stupid about Our Song. Whenever one of us catches it on the radio, we will fall all over ourselves trying to call the other in hopes of relaying the last few notes over the phone. Unless, of course, the Dickman is in the Doghouse. Then I can't turn the darn radio off fast enough.

Music has always been a big part of my life, having been born into a family of singers then marrying into a family of musicians. These past few weeks have been an especially musical time in da hood. In between two Geezers Gone Wild dances, Jackie also played a solo gig at Marty’s Restaurant. We went to hear him a few nights ago, along with his wife Lili, my oldest son and daughter-in-law and their three babies: Mandie Lee, Matthew Cooper and Michael Thomas (the only fruit of my loins - so to speak - that has not been spoiled).

So there we all were, having a wonderful time listening to ‘Uncle Jackie’ while enjoying our meal...when I heard Jack say, “I'd like to dedicate this next song to my brother and sister-in-law, a song that I had the honor of singing at their wedding 33 years ago.” And once again, with the first sound of that major 7th chord, I was swamped. I looked across at my gray-haired husband holding our fuzzy-headed grandbaby and my heart grew five sizes too big as two sets of identical blue eyes smiled back at me. I stood up as Dickie and baby Michael came around the table to hug me,and somehow we all started dancing...


As time goes on, I realize just what you mean to me. And now, now that you're near...promise your love that I've waited to share, and dreams of our moments together. Colour my world with hopes of loving you.


It was a moment. A moment of remembering that soggy bride in the pretty white dress standing at the altar with her heart chock full of ‘hopes of love’ for herself and her handsome groom. And a moment of realizing that young bride could never have imagined all the bright and beautiful ways God would colour her world with the fulfillment of all those hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment