August 31, 2014

Da Mamas... We've Got This



My 4-year old G-boy watched with interest as I smeared make-up on my face.  

"Why do you wear all that stuff?"  he asked.  

"Because I am old."  I replied grumpily.  

"You're not old.  You're still stretched."

"Huh??"  I asked.

"You're still stretched, like me.  Grandmother is old, because her skin is all bumpy.  But you are still stretched." 

Dear Lord, I love that boy.  

And just a few days later, I understood exactly what he meant.

I stuck my head in my mother-in-law's bedroom to check on her...

... just in time to catch her rolling her boobies up into her bra.


============================================================

My Mama didn't quite make it to the end of her self-imposed 90-day trial in assisted living.  When I went to pick her up for her hair appointment a few weeks ago, she looked at me wearily and said, "Okay, I give up.  I'm ready to move back home with you.  I'm tired of being surrounded by old people. They're boring."  

We moved her back in that very day.  

Knowing that my mother-in-law was living down the hall, made my Mom's decision a little easier.  "If you're gonna be taking care of one old lady, you might as well have us both," she said with a grin.

And it didn't hurt that my brother-in-law had taken up residence upstairs.  There is nothing boring about Jack.  

That's right, folks... I am now living with the Dickman, his brother, and our Mamas. Unscripted Reality TV at its very best.  Honey Boo Boo ain't got nothing on us. Motley Crue, indeed.

I know it sounds crazy.  

And I'll be the first to admit:  there is no small amount of cray-cray under this roof. Hardly a day goes by without tears being shed.  

Occasionally the Mamas even shed a few themselves.


But there is also plenty of laughter and hugs and exquisite moments to treasure. Most of the time, it feels like a blessing.

=============================================================

Shortly after Dora moved in, I walked in on the Haney Bros having a deep discussion about the stages of Alzheimer's and what to expect as the disease progresses.  I heard Jackie say that he was praying hard for his Mom to somehow find peace amid all her confusion, and he didn't understand 'why' God wasn't answering his prayers.  My heart squeezed a little at the pain in their voices, but I already knew what Jack was soon to discover...

God is all over this place.

============================================================

My G-babes came to see me a few days ago and brought their parents with them. I was in my Happy Place, my face buried in the neck of my 4-month old G-boy, when I glanced up to see this...



And then, this...



My precious daughter-in-law rubbing Da Mamas' feets with oil.

This young Mother of my Five Favorite Babies, Wife of My Son, Sweet Daughter of Jesus... had carefully packed her oils into her diaper bag just for a purpose such as this.

Tears rolled down my face as I watched her hands, swollen with rheumatoid arthritis, gently and lovingly rub the tired old feet of our Mamas. 

I don't believe I've ever seen a more selfless act of caring and love.

God is all over this place.

He is teaching us patience and humility.  He is challenging our perspective.  He is softening our hearts.  And he renews our strength every day by using us in ways that amaze and bless our spirits.

Oh, yeah.   We've got this.


No comments:

Post a Comment