July 11, 2012

LUMPY MIRACLES


M4 has slid into place with hardly a whimper.

I will never get over how one minute they're just a wriggling mass kicking at their Mommy's ribcage and then, PLOP! Here they are…a living, breathing, sweet-smelling lump of love that you could never imagine living without.

My highest goal in life right now is to make him grin.  At anything...the ceiling, the light...hopefully, at me.

 
I struggle for words to tell him all he needs to know about this amazing life he has inherited. Even though he clearly shows signs of being the SMARTEST BABY EVER, he's not talking yet.  So for now, we communicate telepathically. Our conversations go something like this:

MiMi: Hey there, Baby Marcus...welcome to our big, round, wet, overcrowded ball.

M4: Hey, MiMi. Whaddya call this place?

MiMi: We call it 'home', and it takes a little getting used to. There is much to learn about surviving on this strange planet, but don't worry. We'll teach you everything you need to know.

M4: Gee thanks, MiMi. But all I really want to know is this: where did that pretty lady with the milk jugs go?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of boobs...

Smack in the midst of grandbabies dropping from the sky, I managed to convince myself that I had breast cancer.

Seriously.

Just before our 35th anniversary trip to Dallas, I felt a strange lump. I tried to blow it off and enjoy the trip, but while cheering on the Texas Rangers, I felt a sharp *snap*  under my breast.  Right there in the Rangers Ballpark, amongst tens of thousands of fans, the underwire in my bra broke apart...ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE LUMP!!! It completely weirded me out. I took it as a sign, tossed out the rest of my Diet DP and resumed cheering with my left arm only.

When we got back home, I promptly called my doc who set me up for a diagnostic mammogram. In the meantime, I imagined all the ways my life would be changed when the doctor said those three words I have always expected to hear, "You Have Cancer". 

I didn't tell anyone about The Cancer. I didn't even buy a new bra to replace my broken one. Why bother?

I was amazingly brave and spectacularly stoic...until I wasn't.

The night before my mammogram, everything came rushing out and spewed onto the Dickman in one big messy pile of emo-vomit.

It had been a bad day of dealing with a rude patient, running out of Fritos before running out of bean dip, fires in Colorado...you get the picture. Poor, unwitting Dickman came through the door and asked something completely inane like, “Did you use my razor to shave your armpits again?”

And I exploded.

“You are so selfish and inconsiderate and I PROBABLY HAVE BREAST CANCER!!”

[Poor guy. Nothing in life prepared him for Menopausal Robin. Nothing in life prepared ME for Menopausal Robin.]

The Dickman was scared sh*tless. Or at least he acted as though he was. (I strongly suspect that when I wasn't around, he was trolling the internet for my replacement. Probably for a woman in perfect hormonal balance who owned her own razor.)

The next day, he called me every 30 minutes. As I pulled up to the clinic, I picked up my ringing phone and answered with, “Will you please leave me alone?” He said, “Never.”

After all the poking and prodding and sadistic squeezing of my poor aching breast, the results were in:

I did not have cancer. I had a fibrocystic flare-up likely due to hormones and/or too much Diet DP.

Until that moment, I hadn't realized how much I REALLY did not want to have breast cancer. As I walked out through the waiting room, I smiled reassuringly into the concerned eyes of kind strangers, realizing as never before the spirit of sisterhood that exists in such a place.

I made it all the way to my car before I started crying. And then...I couldn't stop.

I cried for all the people I've loved and lost to cancer, for my friend Karne's Mom who fought so bravely, for my young colleague Shayla who just completed her last round of radiation, for the ladies (and men) in that waiting room who on that very day, were not so lucky as I.

I knew I had to suck it up and call my Dickman.  I knew if he heard me crying he would think the worst. I pulled myself together, and he answered on the first ring.

“Seriously. Will you just leave me alone?” I said.

“Never.” He replied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.

 Albert Einstein

4 comments:

  1. Shayla Shelburne7/12/12, 3:29 PM

    Robin- You just described how I felt that day. The unknown can scare the crap out of you. So glad that it was nothing serious for you. When I found out mine was breast cancer, I cried and pouted for several days until I realized something. Life deals us all different cards. When you are dealt crappy cards, you can either fold and bow out or you can believe that the turn cards are gonna gonna get better and win the hand for ya. I chose the later. I believe God has bigger plans for my life now and I have already won because Jesus is the dealer. He gave us the best turn cards and we hit the jackpot. Heaven looks a lot better these days. I look forward to laughing up there with you sweet girl! Love ya! Shayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Shayla,

      I've seriously never seen anyone who has shown more grace and strength in dealing with cancer than you! You'll never know what an impact you've had on everyone around you.

      I thought of you so much during all of this...puzzling over how this blasted disease is no respecter of persons. I believe I will just follow your lead, oh Wise One, and keep trusting in God while looking forward to heaven.

      Thank you so much for your wonderful spirit and unbeatable faith. Love you much!

      Robin

      Delete
  2. My heart is in my throat and it is hard to swallow. I'm so very thankful, Robin, that you dodged that bullet. I'm saying thank you to our Heavenly Father right now just for having a healthy Robin in this big, wet, smelly, fretting world. I think I heard Marcus utter that same prayer! Love you tons. Tappo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, my Tappo. I was just telling your baby sister that I hoped anybody reading my blog knew me well enough to understand that it was meant as a tribute to cancer warriors...with sweet Mayme Jon at the top of the list.

      ~ Robin ~

      Delete