April 24, 2012

Birthday Blessings...

There are few events more affirming than birthdays on Facebook.  Never mind that 95% of my friends who posted greetings would have been clueless about my birthday had they not noticed the little reminder at the top of their Facebook page.  I choose to believe that every single greeting was sent with compassionate thought and heartfelt tenderness.  Especially the ones written in all caps and emphasized by exclamation points. 

Gratifying as Facebook birthday greetings may be, I am an even bigger sucker for Hallmark cards.  Particularly the sappy ones. It matters not that thousands of people all over the world might be opening the very same  card. The minute a carefully chosen Hallmark card is in my hand, I give over to the belief that it was written especially for me.

Some of my friends and family have Hallmarking down to an art. The Dickman is a card-giving maestro who never disappoints.   This year he gave me a birthday card with a photo on the front showing a tiny little boy kissing a tiny little girl, and inside were the words: 

I need ya. I got ya. I'm keeping ya. Love ya.

My Mama also has the golden Hallmark touch.  I have a big box filled with my very favorite birthday cards she's given to me over the years.  I love to pull them out and reread them...paying particular attention to the words she underlined or crossed out to replace with words of her own. 

The card she gave me this year may be my all-time favorite...strike outs, underlines, added exclamation points and all: 

HOW TO MAKE

A Beautiful Life...


Love yourself.

MAKE PEACE with who you are

and where you are

at this moment in time.

 

Listen to your heart.

If you can't hear what it's saying in this noisy world,

MAKE TIME for yourself.

Enjoy your own company.

Let your mind wander among the stars.

 

Try.

Take chances.

MAKE MISTAKES.

Life can be is messy

and confusing at times,

but it's also full of surprises.

The next rock in your path

might be a stepping-stone.

 

Be happy!!!

When you don't have what you want,

want what you have.

MAKE DO.

That's a well-kept secret of contentment.

 

There aren't any shortcuts to tomorrow.

You have to MAKE YOUR OWN WAY.

To know where you're going

is only part of it.

You need to know where you've been, too.

And if you ever get lost, don't worry.

The people who love you will find you.

Count on it!!!

 

Life isn't days and years.

It's what you do with time

and with all the goodness and grace

that's inside you.

MAKE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE...

The kind of life you deserve.


(Thanks, Mom.)


No comments:

Post a Comment